Today I actually preached from the lectionary instead of listened to a sermon. It is quite different stepping into a pulpit infequently rather than the every week approach that I have known for most of my career.
I focused primarily on Philippians 2- The Christ Hymn. Without sharing my sermon from one end to the other, here are the highlights:
- The best theology was usually sing first
- John Calvin on the Nicene Creed- It was meant to be sung
- Philippians 2:6-11–similar language and concepts to the ancient creeds
- Lex orandi-lex credendi-lex vivendi: How we pray/worship, is what we believe, is how we live
- The eucharist embodies the emptying/outpouring Christ , and calls the Church to be poured out and broken for the world
- Posted in: That'll Preach